Scotland/Ireland Mission

On The Isle of Skye

Sunday, November 13, 2011

11/7/11

Elder Hawkes and I

Mum,

 OK, you're lucky because I sent the pictures first. Well I'm glad that the girls got back safe and sound. Hope they had fun in Brazil. I'd like to make my way there some day. I'm just impressed with Daniel. He's doing quite well for himself, isn't he. I'm so glad that everything is working out for him. It sounds like he couldn't be more blessed.
 Things are really starting to get cold here. Had to cut our run short a little this morning because the cold air was restricting my breathing. Ever since Guy Fawkes night, things have been really cold. Oh yeah, do you know about that? Guy Fawkes night is something that they celebrate here in the UK. Guy Fawkes was a person who attempted to blow up Parliament. Well, he didn't succeed and they burned him. Now they celebrate every year on the fourth of Nov. by lighting bonfires everywhere and shooting off fireworks. Imagine that, celebrating something that almost happened. Strange people, these are. But it's the closest thing they've got to fourth of July, but nowhere near as spectacular. Anyway, it's been really cold since then.
 I didn't know that Grandma was 76. I'm the worst with dates and birthdays. Tell her that I'm thinking of her and I hope that she had a great birthday. There was a lady in Omagh that we were teaching (not that this is closely related or anything) who was 99 years old. OK, teaching would be a very loose application of the word. Preparing for the post-mortal spirit world is a more accurate description. Ha ha ha... Anyway, when her 99th birthday came around (because I was there when it happened), she hated it. She doesn't want anyone to mention her birthday, I guess. Anyway, little anecdote for you, ha ha ha...

(This next is in reference to my email to Elder Trawick in which I mentioned that we saw a German Shepherd puppy for sale in Missoula and he was so sweet and cuddly and I wanted to take him home with me!)

I hope that you don't take on another dog. You have three as it is. I know that you already know that, but sometimes it helps if someone else says it. I love German Shepherds just as much as the lot of you, but three is more than a handful, as you are quite familiar with. Just saying... Glad you got a good cuddle, though. :)

Oh and as a little side note, you mentioned Cain, and funny you should mention that, I was reading a bit about him this morning. You said:
 "Adam and his immediate posterity were such wonderful souls, except for Cain of course."
 I learned something new about Cain, maybe you already knew this. Moses 5:24 says:
 24 For from this time forth thou shalt be the father of his lies, thou shalt be called Perdition; for thou wast also before the world.
 So that denotes that he was disobedient in the pre-mortal spirit world. We know that we all made more that just one decision before we came to earth. It wasn't just a question of, "Will you follow the Christ, or will you rebel against God," although that was a major decision. We had agency and made untold choices before this life. Also, because we know that the Atonement of Christ the Lord is infinite (2 Nephi 9:7) which includes an infinity of time (as well as an infinity of other aspects such as power and coverage), we then know that we could repent in the pre-mortal realm. So this being said, Cain was evidently a disobedient spirit before his earthly probation, and yet still qualified for a body and thus a shot at godhood. He lost that opportunity, however, and then we learn that he was prone to rebellion "before the world." So the Atonement is retroactive and prospective (infinite), we know this because the gospel was preached to the saints in Adam's days and all through the ages and repentance was available in all times. Why not, then, in the pre-mortal world of spirits, since we were also disobedient at times there? An interesting thought, I think.
 Anyway, something to chew on...
 Well I hope that you have a great week. It will be moves call on Sunday and I could be moved. I'm unsure about this one. Anything could happen. I'll let you know what's going on on Monday. I love you lots and lots, though!

Love,
Elder Trawick

                                                      FOOD!
A nice salad I made the other day
Pumpkin soup (with nutmeg)
Sandwich (I'm suddenly realising how terribly unexciting this is, ha ha ha...)
Sweet Potato and Parsnip soup with home-made croûtons and cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment