Scotland/Ireland Mission

On The Isle of Skye

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

10/24/11

Dear Mum,
 
 We had such a good week this week. We had great success in teaching this week. Greater success than at least the 13 weeks previous, so that's major improvement. We've also had great improvement in our physical health. It's made me feel really good about myself, all the work we are doing to get fit and be healthy. I'm losing weight (haven't measured, but it's visible), and feeling generally better. We've kept up our morning run every morning this week but Sunday. And we ran this morning. I tried to really push myself this morning and I feel amazing now. It's astounding, the effects that good exercise and healthy eating will to do make you happier. 
We created some ground rules the other day about under what circumstances we could eat unhealthy food. Basically, we allow ourselves to eat whatever the members make for us or offer us in their homes, but at our house, we will only eat healthy. That worked very well until Sunday, when we noticed that we still had a good amount of "junk food" in the freezer. So we sort of splurged and had what I guess you could call a "cheat meal." It was two small pizzas and 10 fish sticks, so not too bad. Anyway, for the most part, we've been trying to eat well. We've made soups and salads with all fresh ingredients. So it's going well
I'm also convinced that it is linked with following the morning schedule as exactly as possible that makes our days go better. All in all, we feel great. And we're doing the best we can. I love this work so much.
I was studying this morning, just finishing up the last few chapters of Alma. During my study of the war chapters, I've taken a sort of scholarly approach. I still look for and glean the spiritual messages in the war chapters (and there are many), but I've also been keeping a look out for mentions of different military strategies and political movements. I've been surprised to find a lot of references to many aspects of warfare. This morning I found a classic example of reconnaissance when Moroni gets up onto the wall of the Nephihah which the Lamanites are encamped in and does a type of military intelligence surveillance. I've seen mentions of POW exchanges, assassinations, rules of engagement, espionage, a military draft, treason, a violent coup, and many other things that go into this long and drawn out war of fourteen years. There is no glorious victory in the end, no one is the winner of this war. Both sides suffered untold losses. Moroni, disgusted and finished with war and bloodshed, retires, yields up all power and position that he once held, and chooses to live out the remainder of his days in peace. That only ended up being about five years later and, I'm sure, was due to the many injuries sustained as a soldier. What an account. Could this really be made up? There is too much evidence for the contrary. And my own testimony of it's truth and divinity has already been firmly established. What a wonderful book. A true book.
Well, that is about it. I'm sorry about the pictures. I thought that I brought the camera, but it didn't make it, it seems. Next time. I'll try my best. Anyway, I love you. Have a great week, mummy :)
 
Love,
Elder Trawick

No comments:

Post a Comment