Scotland/Ireland Mission

On The Isle of Skye

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Moving to Scotland!

 
 
Dear Mum,
 
 Well the news is that I am moving! I am actually on a ferry right now to Scotland! As you probably already know, I am well excited about it too. My new area is in the top of Scotland as far as missionaries are concerned. It is a lovely little place  called Inverness. Inver means "by the way" or something like that and (wait till I tell you) Ness is in reference to Loch Ness! Loch Ness is in my new area! I will be on the lookout for Nessie. My zone is Aberdeen zone and I have heard really good things about Aberdeen and Inverness. Another geat feature, I now will have a car! I can not even begin to tell you how excited I am about this place. Everyone is really jealous about it because I hear that it is one of the best areas in the mission. Anyway, this will not be a very long email as this ferry computer is not good at all. I am really going to miss the members of Omagh, but not Omagh itself so much, to be honest. My new companion is called Elder Sindylek (Shin da leck) and he is Czech (I think that is how you spell it. Anyway, I am in for a long jouney to Inverness but I am way excited. I love you lots and I hope that you have a wonderful week. Talk to you on Monday.
 
Elder Trawick
 ferry image by Richard Villalon

 Inverness; from the Scottish Gaelic: Inbhir Nis, (meaning 'mouth of the River Ness') is a city in northern Scotland. The city is the administrative centre for the Highland council area,and is regarded as the capital of the Highlands of Scotland. The city lies near the site of the 18th century Battle of Culloden and at the northeastern extremity of the Great Glen (An Gleann Mòr), where the River Ness enters the Inverness/Moray Firth making it a natural hub for various transport links. It is the northernmost city in the United Kingdom. A settlement was established by the 6th century with the first royal charter being granted by Dabíd mac Maíl Choluim (King David I) in the 12th century. The Gaelic king, Mac Bethad mac Findláich (MacBeth) nicknamed Rígh Dearg (The Red King) held a castle within the city where he ruled as Mormaer of Moray.
The population of Inverness increased by over 10% from 1991–2001 and from 1997-2007 with an estimated population in 2008 of 56,660. Inverness is a fast growing city, with a quarter of the Highland population living in or around the city and is ranked fifth out of 189 British cities for its quality of life, the highest of any Scottish city.
Inverness is situated at the mouth of the River Ness (which flows from nearby Loch Ness) and at the southwestern extremity of the Moray Firth. The city lies at the end of the Great Glen with Loch Ness, Loch Ashie and Loch Duntelchaig to the west. Inverness' Caledonian Canal also runs through the Great Glen connecting Loch Ness, Loch Oich, and Loch Lochy.
Loch Ness looking south

No comments:

Post a Comment