Scotland/Ireland Mission

On The Isle of Skye

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1/10/11

Omagh looking over the river to the Cathedral in the background

Dear Mum,

 This week was great! Our building is almost 100% again and we had Sacrament in Omagh. Elder Olsen and I actually gave talks in Sacrament. He spoke on what the Bible teaches us about Christ, and I taught what the Book of Mormon teaches us about Christ. We both focused predominately on the prophecies of Christ. It was good.
 Funny you should mention about Elder Costa's talk, I read a few days later the talk by Elder Duncan which repeated all 14 fundamentals. I think that means its important... ha ha ha...
 As for answering Aunt Nadeen, honestly most people here are nice, but almost all are very set in their ways. That does not mean, however, that the Lord does not prepare many for us before we meet them so that they are more receptive than others. a good example of that is what happened with us this week. Elder Olsen and I were out tracting and we came across a woman who let us in after we talked with her about how there is a living prophet on the earth today. She was very receptive, recognised that she needed to read the Book of Mormon to find out if it is true, it was wonderful. We had a kneeling prayer with her and then as we were leaving, she asked us, "what do you believe happens to you when you die? Because my sister believes that nothing happens." When she said this, Elder Olsen and I looked at each other then back at her. We soon found out that her sister was someone we had just found a few weeks ago and are teaching. We will be teaching them both on Tuesday night.
Things have been picking up. There's been a lot of sickness and the holidays that have slowed the work a bit, but we are all going back with full force. On another note, Elder Olsen and I were tracting again last night and we ran into a man who was quite aged. We began to tell him about how there was a prophet on the earth today and asked him what that would mean to him if he knew that a prophet of God lived on the earth today. We soon found out that this man had seen missionaries before and that he was much opposed to what we had to say. Now, I run into this situation quite often here in this land, but I couldn't help but take special notice as we asked this man if he had read the Book of Mormon and prayed to know if it was true, then pondered on that. He stated that he had, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that he had not. The point that stuck in my mind so firmly is that it is not possible for someone to read, ponder, and pray to know if the Book of Mormon is true with real intent and not have that witness from God that it is true. I'm so thoroughly convinced about that fact that I would put my life on the line for it. In the end, we didn't want to stay and argue with him, and in fact there was no arguing at all, we thanked him for his time, shook his hand and left. But I felt real sorrow for this man. Hopefully some day soon (for he might not have many left), he will realise that he was wrong. But I did what I was supposed to do. Elder Olsen and I left our testimonies, and that's what counts.

 In Elder Nelson's last conference address, he told of an experience he had with sharing the Book of Mormon with two colleagues of his. They returned the book some time later saying, "thanks a lot." He replied, “What do you mean, thanks a lot? That’s a totally inappropriate response for one who has read this book. You didn’t read it, did you! Please take it back and read it; then I would like my book back.” They later read it and returned with a witness that it was true. He later baptised them both. It's a wonderful example of the power of the Book of Mormon, as well as member missionary work.


I'm really sorry to hear that Ozzie died. I remember him, of course. I met him at least a few times as well. He was married wasn't he? 

Anyway, I hope that your week is fantastic. I love you very much!

Elder Trawick
After a bad rain in Coleraine and the Scotland/Ireland Mission tie. 
Our House
On the train from Coleraine back to Derry

No comments:

Post a Comment