Scotland/Ireland Mission

On The Isle of Skye

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Mom,
 
 Unlucky that you deleted your last email, but I seem to remember that happening years ago whilst I was emailing Daniel. Ha ha ha, it happens. Anyway, yes indeed, I am still in Omagh. Elder Olsen and myself were the only missionaries to stay together in Northern Ireland. And we are quite happy about that as Christmas is coming up and we have great plans for it. 
 
 We went out on Friday evening and shoveled a few of the members' drives and gave them cards. We had planned on using the church's shovels which are quite nice, but when we got to the building we found that they were in the shed which was locked and we had no key... Devastated... So then we tried calling around to see if anyone had proper shovels, but these people just aren't prepared for weather like this. So in the end, we got a hold of two spades (Irish spades are a bit different than American shovels) and used them to clear a few drives. It was good for the few that we got, but we planned on about twice as much or more. So I think that we will be doing that again soon to finish the job, as it has snowed even more since then.
 
 
There was another low turnout at church this Sunday due to snow, but more than last week. The Derry Elders were with us at church as well. I should probably tell you of our adventures whilst traveling to Belfast and back. The trip to Belfast was the most fun I've had in a car... I think ever. We were originally to leave for Dublin by car in the morning. We were excited to have a nice little road trip with the Derry Elders. Turned out that the weather took a bad turn and plans were changed. We were to travel that night (Friday) to Belfast so that we could get a train in the morning to Dublin. Well, that threw things a bit and Derry left their house at about 6:30. They finally ended up in Omagh in 8:30 or so and we headed out to Belfast. The roads were terrible, but we took it slow and easy. Some of the mission cars have a satnav in it so that they can find their way easier and so we used that to navigate to Belfast. The unfortunate thing about that, however, was that we accidentally entered it in for shortest distance rather than shortest time. What followed was a series of back road adventures that extended our trip about an extra hour than it should have been. We ended up in Hollywood (the missionary flat) at sometime past 11PM and quickly got ready for bed. Elder Olsen and I had to sleep on the floor. Then we woke up at 4 to get ready (I have no idea who thought it would be a good idea to get up at 4, because it was a stupid idea) for our train that would be leaving at 6:50. The train station was 5 minutes down the road. We waited in the station for over an hour. Anyway, we finally got on our train and went to Dublin. 
 
It was really good to be back in Dublin. I got to see some Elders that I hadn't seen for some time, including Elder Stewart (who is a District Leader!). All in all, it was 60% travel and 40% conference, but I enjoyed the conference a lot.
 
Answers to Questions:
 
Are you still getting snow?
Yes, and a lot of it!
 
Did you get your box yet?
No I didn't, but I'm sure I'll get it before Christmas.
 
Can you go to the Jeweller's or do you have to wait for the Zone leader's to retrieve your packages?
The Zone Leaders have to get it and they will take care of us. They're good Zone Leaders :)
 
That reminds me... I sent off the package to you guys on Wednesday I think. It might possibly get to you before Christmas, but it might not, so I'm really sorry. It's not a lot, but I hope that you'll like it! I love you all so much and hope to hear from you on Saturday! Merry Christmas!
 
Love,
Elder Trawick

No comments:

Post a Comment