Scotland/Ireland Mission

On The Isle of Skye

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Changes!

Heya Mum,

 Well this week has been incredibly busy! Lots of things to report.

 I sent you a TON of pics this week. Hope you like them all! I'll get more of the flat this week for ya!

 So this week! Wow, I'm not sure where to start. I think with the mission conference. It was Brilliant! We were in a 6 hour session at Finglass chapel with President Griffiths, Europe Area President Kopischke, and a brief appearance by Elder Kerr and Dublin Stake President O'Farrell. It was a REALLY neat experience! We talked about a lot of amazing things, but probably the most profound thing that happened was, President Kopischke started with asking us to write down questions that we have. Any question. And then to keep it in our study journal. He then promised us that all of our questions would be answered by the end of the meeting. I can testify, as well as everyone I've asked, that all of my questions were answered, just as he said. We've been working a lot on learning how to use revelation to guide our work. It is really amazing. Overall the Conference was fantastic and a spiritual high for the month. Maybe the next few months.

 Sunday afternoon, we got our moves call from President. Elder Nicholls was called to Dundee zone in Scotland, and I will be staying in Lucan and receiving his cousin, Elder Hardwick, as my companion. I know that is a bit hilarious, Trawick and Hardwick... Anway, he will be the new District Leader in our District. This will be the third time I've been District Leader companion. As we prepared for the big moves, there was a lot of confusion and chaos. But in the end, all went well. I'm on exchange with Elder Bott serving in Galway for another few hours until my new comp gets here. We went to help them close out some flats last night.
Elder Bott, the crazy tour guide, and Myself

Three areas will be closing in Dublin, including Mt. Joy, which is the oldest missionary flat in Ireland. It has been in use for over 12 years.
Sisters Hahne (Transfered to Dundee) and Newey
Myself, Elder Wilkins, Elder Erickson
Elder Dodd
Me Imitating Sister Clive (I told her she looked so sad, lol)
Elder Nicholls, Sister Clive, Myself
Semi-Joint District photo... That's hard to explain. Just a bunch of us from Dublin Zone.

Today, I took the opportunity to do some tourist activities for the first time! Our first stop was St. Micham's Church. This is famous because of the crypt. The crypt underneath the chapel is, if I'm not mistaken, the oldest building in Dublin. In the Crypt there is an effect due to temperature, methane gasses, and dryness that has cause the mummification to those entombed.
St. Micham's Church from the front

St. Micham's Church
Inside St. Micham's Church
In Memory of...
Me in front of the Rebels who died.


The highlight of this visit was a certain Crusader. They know that he was a Crusader because they crossed his femurs which is a tradition for Crusader burials symbolising the cross. It is said to be good luck to shake his hand. So that's what we did! And we got photographic evidence! I loved it!
The entrance to the crypt
The crypt corridor
The mummies
The highlight of all of my activities! I "shook the hand" of the Crusader!
 Afterwards, we headed out to Christ Church Cathedral to tour there as well. It was also a very great experience. The cathedral was the most beautiful one that I have seen thus far. They too had a crypt, but it was more tourist friendly, whereas St. Micham's is much more personal.

Outside of Christ Church Cathedral
Descending into the Cathedral
Hope of a joyful resurrection? Check

The Cat and the Rat
The one, presumably chasing the other, became trapped in a organ pipe in the 1850's and were mummified. They are referred to in James Joyce's 'Finnegan's Wake' where someone is described as being '...as stuck as that cat to that mouse in that tube of that Christchurch organ ...'
In the crypt of Christ Church
In the crypt of Christ Church
In Christ Church Crypt
In the Cathedral (Christ Church)
The original organ where Handel's Messiah was preformed and is every year.
In the Christ Church Cathedral
In the Christ Church Cathedral
Anyway, I'm having a great time here, make no mistake! I have a lot of work to do in Lucan now. There have been some great referrals we've received that I need to follow up on. So I hope you all have a great week and keep the faith. If I could say one thing of most importance, it would be for all of the members of the church to reach out in missionary efforts. If all members could think of friends that the missionaries could teach, then go and help teach them! If they could make an effort to make friends out of investigators, if they could in all ways encourage and support these new converts, be good examples and answer questions while teaching principles. That would make missionary work roll forward like never before. But I'm here to do my job, which is to invite others to come unto Christ.
Love you all,
Elder Trawick

No comments:

Post a Comment