Scotland/Ireland Mission

On The Isle of Skye

Monday, July 19, 2010

Oi mum, what's the craic, like?


 So that is basically the main greeting here. Other than Hiya, or Heya. They often say, "What's the craic? (sounds like crack). Craic is an Irish word (they don't call it gaelic here) that just means a few different things. When you say, "What's the craic?" you are basically saying, "How's it going?" They also say, "What's the story?" and they really add the word, "Like" in everywhere. I love the Irish! They are a great people, really funny too. If you could only hear the true Irish accent, (that's Dublin by the way, because the Belfast one is completely different) you would crack up!
 So where do I start? My area (which is the Lucan/Clondalkin area just outside of Dublin City) is brilliant! I love it a lot. The people are great and very hospitable when they like you. Our area is one of the biggest in the mission (including Scotland now), yet we still get around on bus, which is fine, most of the time. My comp Elder Nicholls had his first baptism yesterday! It was a 9 year old girl (Nigerian) who came from a family who has just started coming back to church. We also were able to get 10 of our Less-Actives and 3 progressing investigators to church this week. It was a great week! We taught as much as we could, but we didn't get a chance to OYM (thats an acronym for Open Your Mouth, basically means proselyting or any kind but mostly street contacting) much. But you know me, for some reason we've really been having a phenomenon with people just coming up to me and chatting with me, so perfect opportunity, right? We got 2 new investigators this week just from people who came up to me and talked to me. We also got on a bus heading home the other night and ran into two catholic missionaries of sorts who chatted with us. One of them said that he just felt that there was something missing in all of the religions, and them my companion piped up and said that we had that missing part! lol. They were choice guys, but they had to get up and leave in a hurry, so I gave them a Restoration pamphlet. We've been praying that we'll run into them again sometime, so hopefully they're ready when we do.
 We also got a new investigator this week who is Brazilian (one of the ones who came up and talked to me, ha ha ha). She was really neat, so we gave her a Book of Mormon and she loved it because she's trying to learn English. So we got her info and mobile number and we're going to give her a ring this week to give her the Portuguese Book of Mormon and Restoration pamphlet. We also have an awesome couple in the next town over who are Brazilian (both RM's) who we're going to try to have come with us to teach her. Her name is Cinta (pronounced Seen Cha).
Tell Ben and Neuman that I said hi, and that Ireland is the best! That actually reminds me. I was at a part-member's house last night with her, her husband, and Mary Smyth, where sister Stynes (the member) was watching a program on TV about the history of the Celts. Then they had a bit about Queen Bodica. That was a fun conversation :).
I live in Lucan, just southwest of Dublin City, so I am very much in the Republic. But Belfast is quite calm now. Dublin is fine too. There are just a lot of stabbings. But thats mostly because there are no guns allowed here. There are people shot every now and again, but thats only people involved in crime like drugs and things like that. It's really not bad at all here.
 As far as the camera card goes, that's an interesting deal. The mail system here is GREAT. I mean it's way better than America's. I think I can send a letter and it might get to you all in less than a week. I've heard that the record is 4 days. But the mail system is good, so I'm not worried about it. There's always a chance that something could happen, but I don't think so. To be safe, I'll go and get all of my pictures printed out first. Which reminds me, I'm sorry about pictures but I don't have any for you this week. I didn't realize when I left the flat this morning that I'd be in Dublin all day, so I forgot my cable. But I'll make an effort for next week. Sorry!
 I sent a letter to Guy and Casey that has my letter to the ward in it. They should have it today to soon. I wrote it about a week and a half ago, but I didn't send it until a few days ago, because there are only a few places for outgoing post here.

Anyway, I love you all. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment